2012年12月1日 星期六

All for one, one for all

When I was a child, I often watched the TV programs of Hong Kong. One of the most frequent lines is “all for one, one for all”. It is said that helping and caring for each other are a part of Hong Kong spirit. When I visited Shem Shui Po, I felt this spirit.
The environment of these restaurants was not elegant but ordinary and warm. Some restaurants kept the prices of the food to satisfy the poor. It is unbelievable that you can still have a meal as cheap as 14 HKD in Hong Kong today! The restaurant in Hong Kong style, or Cha Can Ting in Cantonese, was crowded. The waiters kept exclaiming the orders and once entered, I smelled the food. I found that many of the customers and waiters actually knew each other, maybe neighbors. They said hello to each other. They even exchanged the information that which supermarket was on sale and discussed the news on the newspapers.
It was different from having lunch in a restaurant with professional service. Instead, I felt I was having lunch with a big family. In Lau Sum Kee Noodle, the waiters chatted with me. When I was thinking what to order, she pointed the bill with strength and said, “This one! You must try this one! It’s great!” And she even asked me where I came from because I spoke Cantonese with an accent. She soon praised my Cantonese with the thumbs up. Since they were still not too busy, she came back to me when I was eating and helloed at me. “It’s great, isn’t it? My suggestions are always right!” When I was leaving, she even waved goodbye to me. Once outside of the restaurant, I was sent into shivers by the cold wind with rains. An old aunt with an exaggerative colorful scarf said to me, “It’s so cold! You should wear more! When you are old, you will understand it!” The words made me feel much warmer.
I always believe that one can only be full when having something together with the concern and kindness of the cook and the warmth around. Finally, I was full. 

沒有留言:

張貼留言